Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Accuracy

Throughout this project, I have been saying that the oscillator I am using, the DS32kHz, is accurate to 7.5 parts per million, or 4 minutes per year. Having run the clock continuously for about 3 weeks now I would expect the clock to have drifted by approximately 14 seconds. However, measuring the clock against the clock on my phone I have found that it has drifted by approximately only two seconds.

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Accuracy”

Advertisements

Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Final Code

The clock is controlled by an ATTiny87 which has three main jobs:

  1. Counting the pulses from the Maxim DS32kHz
  2. Controlling the display via the shift registers (read more)
  3. Interacting with the user via the reed switches to produce a user interface

Each of these jobs will be discussed separately below as well as the main code to bring it all together in a power efficient way. Full code can be found at my GitHub.

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Final Code”

Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – SPI Bus Chip Select/GPIO Contention

As discussed in the previous article, the display is controlled by a number of shift registers. Shift registers can be controlled directly by a SPI bus, which is useful as most microcontrollers (including our ATtiny87) have a built in SPI bus peripheral. This means that writing a byte to the shift register is almost as easy as just writing a byte to a register.

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – SPI Bus Chip Select/GPIO Contention”

Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Using 74HC595 Shift Registers

My Nixie tubes have 11 active pins each: a common anode and one cathode per digit (ten in total). The anode is connected to +180V via a 47k current-limiting resistor and each cathode is connected to the collector of a high voltage bipolar transistor (MPSA42) so that current can be controlled through each of them via the base of the transistor. This gives a total of 29 transistors that need to be individually controlled (24 hour clock requires 3 possible numbers for the first digit, 10 for the second, 6 for the third and 10 for the fourth). I chose to do this by using four 8-bit shift registers, connected in series to make one, 32-bit shift register.

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Using 74HC595 Shift Registers”

Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Final Schematic and PCB

One big change since I did the first version of the clock is my access to professionally made PCBs. At the time, I was only able to produce PCBs via hand etching or using my home-made PCB mill. A board like this requires at least a double sided design which is not easy using the above methods and so I used veroboard. This is painfully slow and messy.

 

For the new version I will use a professionally made two layer PCB.

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock (upgrade) – Final Schematic and PCB”

Project: Nixie Clock – MC34063 Boost Converter (upgrade)

I really like my Nixie Clock that I built two years ago – but I don’t like to leave it on when I’m not around. The reason for this is that the Nixie tubes are powered directly from the mains which means that touching the Nixie tubes could result in a dangerous electric shock. While the tubes are protected under glass I don’t like the thought of someone accidentally tripping over it and getting electrocuted. So I decided to redesign the clock.

I am going to power the clock from a 9V wall supply and boost that voltage up to 180V to light the Nixie tubes. While this is still quite a high voltage, it is isolated from the mains and is much less dangerous.

My design is largely based on Threeneuron’s Pile o’Poo.

power_supply_schematic.png

The schematic for the 180V power supply

Continue reading “Project: Nixie Clock – MC34063 Boost Converter (upgrade)”

Project: Nixie Clock – Completion

The clock is finished! I could barely be any happier with how it has turned out. I’m even pleased with the wood work.

Looks good, I reckon

Looks good, I reckon

The only exposed materials are wood and glass (excusing the wire out the back) and so far it hasn’t lost any accuracy, and it’s been running for 3 days.

Initially I did have some issues with it skipping time when touched but I traced that back to a loosely connected chip.

Time for a new project!

Close up

Close up