Project: Spectrum – Final Touches/The End

Last time I showed the final frequency response of Spectrum. I guess now I need to show the finished thing!

As a final touch, I decided to laser cut an acrylic back plate for the circuit board to protect the electronics:

And here are a couple of pictures of it running:

These images give you a pretty good idea of what Spectrum looks like when music is playing.

Here is a video with music – unfortunately, my camera does a pretty rubbish job of dealing with the bright LEDs (they are VERY bright).

In fact the LEDs are so bright that if you turn off all other lights in a room, it does a pretty good job of lighting the whole room and creating “disco lights” in accordance to the music.

Anyway, I am very happy with this project – there isn’t much I would do differently. There are definitely disadvantages to having done this with entirely analogue electronics:

  • Unable to dynamically adjust thresholds to produce a good show regardless of music volume
  • Many more components required
  • More expensive
  • Difficult to tune the potentiometers well

On the other hand, I learnt a lot about analogue filters and hand soldering small components and there is something satisfying about doing everything in analogue…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s