Project: Remoteli – Fully Populating Board V2

I never got round to fully populating the original board with all of the components. This is because I realised the first board was flawed before I got round to needing to fully populate it. So this is the first time a board has been fully populated.

IMG_20151212_221919

I’m really pleased with how it came out.
The biggest pain to solder was the board-to-board connector. This is the little piece of metal in the top left of the second photo, underneath the resistor and next to the (white) LED. You can see that it’s not soldered on quite straight. The reason for this was due to it’s shape.

The way I soldered the switches is that I lay down solder paste, held the component in place with my tweezers and melted the solder paste with my soldering iron. However this contact doesn’t have a shape conducive to holding it down, so it was very difficult to hold in place. Inevitably I settled for a less than perfect placement of the part. Electrically, it is adequately connected.

I now need to get the top board manufactured to enclose the remote. Unfortunately, I require a <0.8mm thick board (to allow the buttons to push through) and my usual manufacturer OSH Park don’t usually produce boards this thin so I’ll have to figure out my options.

Anyway, now to try testing these boards.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s