This is just a quick one. I said in my previous post that the signal produced by the tape head was too small to read using my oscilloscope. I put together a simple op-amp circuit with about 100x gain and measured the output to see what it would be like. It worked pretty nicely:

Amplifying the signal from the tape head by 100x resulted in a pretty nice waveform.
Amplifying the signal from the tape head by 100x resulted in a pretty nice waveform.

The signal looked a little noisy so I hooked the output up to my guitar amplifier and it sounded pretty good! At least as good as the sound coming out of the speaker in the tape player I took the tape head from. I’m feeling pretty optimistic about this bit.

You can see the tape head is plugged directly into my breadboard which is then amplifying the signal and feeding it out to my guitar amplifier off screen.
You can see the tape head is plugged directly into my breadboard which is then amplifying the signal and feeding it out to my guitar amplifier off screen.
Advertisements